Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Honk If You Love Sorority Girls

So, I had to make a quick run to the hardware store (before you start thinking I’ve gone all butch on ya, let me clarify—I was buying a prop for a shoot) and my route took me right through the heart of West Campus, the predominantly student neighborhood just west of the University of Texas.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I have an intense love/hate relationship with sorority girls. They drive me batshit crazy with their inanity. but provide me with ENDLESS fodder for the types of things I write about on here.

In fact, one of my favorite/least favorite (see it’s that love/hate thing) travel stories came from observing two sorority girls at the Louvre, in their full blown “um, like” mode. They were staring at a painting intently, when one turned to the other and said, in her best airhead, OMG voice, “Is that baroque or rococo?” But I digress.

So, as I turn on a primary street through sororityville, this young woman separates herself from her gaggle (or is it her pride?) and, because she’s talking on her cell phone, walks RIGHT OUT INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING STREET. She never took a single glance in either direction.

Being an all-around good guy and model citizen, I stealthily crept my car right up to her ass and LAID ON THE HORN!!! She, of course, jumped out of her skin and glared at me as if I had done something wrong.

I used a combination of gestures and mouthed words to communicate “Street. Car. Hello!” She rolled her eyes and shook her hair, as if to say, “Sha!” and continued on her merry way.

I continued on my merry way, visions of road kill in my head. And an evil grin on my face.

1 comment:

hokgardner said...

I have to drive through West Campus several times a day on my way to and from Lily's preschool. I can't count the number of times I've almost wiped out a sorority girl who has stepped out in front of me while talking on her phone or listening to her iPod. I really would love to do what you did. Maybe some day. . .