Thursday, December 25, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like . . .

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or Bah Humbug, depending on which you celebrate. Having attended to all my holiday shopping early, allowing me more time to eat all those baked goods people are giving as gifts this year (okay, seriously, this is one aspect of the economic downturn I AM ALL ABOUT!!) If everybody gave me cookies every year for Christmas, I would be happier than Mary was the day Jesus left home for Carpentry School. (No offense to the D’Arimethea’s, but honestly, can you imagine what a difficult teenager He must have been?)

But I digress.

Thinking that I had outsmarted the hordes, I gloated over the fact that I didn’t have to “get out in it” as we said growing up in East Texas. I didn’t have to go to any stores or deal with last-minute shoppers. Of course, I was naïve.

And on one of these (DANG IT) trips, I noticed an interesting phenomenon: people wouldn’t STOP shopping. As I waited in the check-out line, writ longer by the lack of cashiers (must have been laid off) I watched person after person leave the register to “run back for just one thing.” Again and again.

Me? I had house keys. FIVE FREAKIN’ HOUSE KEYS. Copies I’d had made because I can’t ever keep track of who all I’ve given keys to my house. Safety first! Right?

So, there I stand with my five house keys. Waiting while Gumby and Pokey add to their pile, and my frustration, one . . . item . . . at . . . a . . . time. Lovely.

I chose to imbue myself with the spirit of the season, blessing one and all in my own special way. OH, and I found the coolest plastic dishwashing brush while I was waiting in line. See-through with chartreuse bristles. I almost left the register to go back and get matching Playtex gloves, but I couldn’t decide if a contrasting color would be more appropriate.

I love Christmas!!

No comments: