Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Good Thing He's Not a Longhorn

As we sit amidst this maelstrom of stupidity that is the Presidential election, I haven’t felt like adding my blogging voice to the din. There is something new every day that sets the bar at a new low for these two once-well-respected Senators.

I was at least relieved that McCain verbally countered the woman who said “Obama is an Arab.” Jeebus, lady. Where did you get your limited education, Boxofrocks Elementary?

Then, today, the light returned. I saw a story that had nothing to do with politics. But DAYUM is it stupid.

The headline in USAToday read, “Lineman has pinkie amputated to keep playing.”

Having a completely clogged head (lovely Austin allergies), I thought, NO WAY did I read that right. But I did.

See, Trevor Wikre, a 21-year old senior lineman at Mesa State (NCAA Division II, mind you) in Colorado, shattered his pinkie in practice. The doctors naturally told him his season was over.

Not so fast, there, Dr. Know It All.

"I'm a senior," Wikre said. "If they put pins in there, my career was finished. I told them to just take it off. They said I was being dramatic. I said, yeah, well, losing my season is dramatic, too."

I’m sure the word they wanted to use was “melodramatic.”

Uh . . . dude . . . you play for a Division II school in western Colorado. You’re not going to have a football career. And based on your logical thinking, I’m guessing it’s going to be quite a challenge working the french fryer with a missing pinkie.

Ironically, his coach is also missing a pinkie. (What is this some sort of Mafia school?) The coach said he would have advised him to KEEP the finger and MISS the season, but Wikre acted before the coach had a chance to talk with him.

"He's pretty darn committed to this team,” the coach said. "I know where his heart is at. He's a special young man."

Yeah, but do you know where his pinkie is . . . at?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew a girl who had her little toe amputated so she could dance in heels and it wouldnt hurt. I however am from the school of if it hurts to do that don't do that. I still have all fingers and toes and guess what...Im as famous as she is..hahaha