Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Beware the Obamaconomy

I was meeting with a client of mine yesterday (a chi chi salon and spa, which, given my bald pate, is a bit of grinner) and we got into a discussion of the economy and how best to move forward given all the doom and gloom. As you might imagine, the vast majority of the stylists and employees are liberal Democrats. But more than a fair share of the clientele is rich, Republican women.

And even they are concerned about the economy. More than one has remarked to the staff, “With the economy the way it is, if Obama is elected, I may not be able to afford to come here anymore.”

My chin hit the floor. “If Obama is elected?!?!?!?”

How is that people can be so delusional? Who the fuck do they think got us into this mess? The Democrats? It was people JUST LIKE THEM.

One of the things I used to always value about the Republican ideals was the point of fiscal conservatism. And they still act like that is a hallmark of their philosophy. But the Bush Administration has been about nothing but greed. Mo’ money, mo’ money, mo’ money. You got to get paid to get laid” as the song from dreadful Damon Wayans movie goes.

So, here’s what I have to say. I hope Obama is elected. And he makes the rich pay their share. And I hope that Mrs. Rich can’t afford to get her hair done at my client’s salon. And I hope that she has to go to some salon in the mall, where some eye-rolling, pudgy teenager with nineteen different colors in her hair, or some tragic old queen with the shakes gets hold of her and leaves her hair looking like a bale of hay.

Work THAT in the society pages, while you’re wearing LAST YEAR’S collection.

I mean, REALLY. WHAT could be worse?!?!? Maybe your husband leaves you for a younger woman with a broader world view, buys her a big-ass HYBRID Lexus and now SHE comes to my client's salon.

No comments: