Thursday, April 5, 2007

Why Don't They Ever Shoot the White Rappers?

If you’re wondering about the paucity of posts this week, I’ve decided to blame it on Rove. And three other white guys. And a black guy. I’m seriously scarred.

Every once in a while, perfectly well-educated people will do something so staggeringly stupid (see: six years under bush) that I’m left speechless. I haven’t even called my usual phone chain to exclaim, “Can you fucking believe this shit?!?!?!”

I’m talking about the performance at the Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner, where Rove and three other guys “rap.” I’m totally serious. It is absolutely one of the most mind-boggling things.

On one hand, I’m not big fan of White Rappers. Eminem gets a pass here, but pretty much everyone else needs to go back out to the cul-de-sac and quit “rhyming” about popping a cap in some bitch’s ass, when the only bitch you know is a cheerleader at your high school.

On the other hand, I’m not a big fan of Republicans, and this does nothing to assuage that.

Put the two together and . . . I don’t what you get. But it’s funny. And scary. And nausea-inducing. I guess, aside from the lack of artistry, my biggest issue with this is the arrogance it displays. Yes, this dinner is supposed to be ribald—a bit of a self-roast. But dear God, do these people have a clue? (Sorry, of course they don’t, what am I thinking?)

I think the part that was most uncomfortable for me was watching the one black guy on stage, trying to be game. Trying to be part of the club. And probably never having felt like more of a token than at that very moment.

If you’re feeling particularly masochistic, here is the link. You might want to wait for breakfast to digest before watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRSgjDEQy0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had been warned to avoid watching this clip at all costs but sadly was subjected to it on the NBC Nightly News. Up until that point, I had been convinced that NBC White House correspondent David Gregory was a closted gay man. Once I saw him "dance" (and I use that term loosely), I was convinced of his heterosexuality. Bless their hearts